- Last Updated on Monday, 19 December 2016 06:04
The central office of the Seychelles Meteorological Authority (SMA) is based at the Seychelles International Airport on Mahé. The SMA has outstations on other parts of the Mahé, on other inner islands and on the outer islands. This entity is charged with providing weather and climate services including various products to the nation. It consists of a team of dedicated individuals who daily continue the tradition of service above self. Over recent years, their collective focus has been on delivering necessary products and services while completing the myriad of activities associated with the NMS modernization and restructuring.
The Authority builds on their past; recognizes their values; supports their mission, purpose, and vision; and will guide them for many years to come. It focuses on creating a more employee-centred, flexible, and responsive organisation that will enable the staff to better use science to improve the understanding of climate systems for the benefit of its society coping with climate variability and change.
SMA functions are:-
- The provision of weather forecasts, warnings, recommendations of response and related information for the general public in a timely and usable manner, in order to ensure the safety of life and property.
- To implement national climate programmes through the National Coordinating Committee (National Climate Committee) and develop contacts with relevant Ministries on subjects such as environment, agriculture, water/irrigation, foreign affairs, etc. The entity is also involved in related environmental issues in the areas of monitoring, analysis, interpretation, prediction, applications and impact studies where appropriate for climate, climate variability and change.
- To provide meteorological services to most socio-economic sectors. These include air, land and sea transportation, tourism activities, agriculture, fisheries, media and construction. The Authority must be tailored to the requirements of the users in order to contribute in a significant manner to the economic and social development of the nation.
- To carry out disaster prevention and mitigation activities such as education, awareness and sensitization, disaster management, risk and vulnerability assessment, development planning etc.